Damascus UMC is seeking a Director of Music - please follow link for printable version
DAMASCUS UMC (DAMASCUS MD) IS SEEKING A DIRECTOR OF MUSIC (25-30 hours per week) to work closely with pastors and congregation to provide meaningful engagement with music that glorifies God in worship. The Ministry of Music is vital to the life of Damascus UMC which has multiple choirs for all ages, including a large youth choir, The Charles Wesley Singers, who tour each summer. There are bell choirs, puppet troupes, and special music during the liturgical seasons, as well concerts during the year.
CONTACT/HOW TO APPLY:
This position listing will remain open until filled. Qualified candidates should send resumes to Kathleen Leslie at Candidates chosen for an interview should be prepared to send work product samples, such as:
- Copies of performances by choral ensembles (MP3 file format or video), preferably mixed choirs, youth choir, women’s choirs, and men’s choirs;
- Copies of choral compositions/arrangements.
JOB DESCRIPTION EFFECTIVE: 11/6/19
TITLE: Director of Music, Damascus United Methodist Church, Damascus MD
REPORTS TO: Senior Pastor
SUPERVISES: Organist, Hand Bells Director, Children’s Choir Director, Puppet Troupe
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Part Time, 25-30 hours
JOB SUMMARY: The Director of Music uses a variety of musical styles to enhance the celebration of worship of God and build awareness of DUMC within the greater Damascus community. This individual seeks to provide musical offerings for worship and other DUMC events through individual and group ensembles for people of all ages and ability levels. The Director of Music provides music, artistic and cultural opportunities for worship, creating a space for congregation members and church visitors to find fellowship and enjoy the presence of God.
The Director of Music should have significant leadership experience in a variety of musical genres. The Director of Music will demonstrate the ability to work with the Senior Pastor, staff, and congregation to ensure a quality worship experience. The Director of Music should demonstrate a Christian faith and an understanding of the theology of worship.
- Safe Sanctuary certified
- Must pass a background check
- Leadership ability—Able to lead large, diverse groups and manage specific projects from concept to completion while working collegially with pastors, musicians, artists and other leaders, and with a diverse congregation.
- Musically trained— Demonstrates strong musical skills and knowledge, including proficiency in piano and voice and understands music from a variety of genres and generations, with knowledge of traditional hymns and the music of the United Methodist Church.
- Able to arrange and conduct for all music and vocal activities
- Possesses interpersonal, team building, and conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrates project management skills and the ability to multi-task
- Recruit, and act as liaison with, other ensemble directors and puppet troupe leaders
- Create opportunities for congregants to engage in music to express their faith
- Incorporate music into worship activities related to seasonal worship themes
- Oversee all music programming, including adult, youth, and children’s music activities
- Coordinate and/or lead special music programs/events
- Coordinate adult, youth and children’s voice and bell choirs’ weekly rehearsals and performances
- Plan, prepare, and conduct weekly music worship components (i.e. Chancel Choir, Charles Wesley Singers)
- Engage, invite, and recruit participation in music activities within congregation and community
- Plan, coordinate, promote, and, as appropriate, lead special events, such as seasonal concerts, and summer youth choir tour
- Collaborate regularly with pastors and staff to plan worship activities
- Manage budget items related to music
- Serve on relevant DUMC committees representing Music Ministry
- Supervise paid and volunteer staff in music, including accompanist
- Manage equipment, instruments, and music for the church, including copyrights and library.
- Plan and lead summer youth choir tour with the assistance of a Youth Choir Tour Committee
- Secure and manage instrumentalists for worship and concert events
- Ensure publicity for music events
- Support music portion of Vacation Bible School program, as needed
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
Works closely with clergy and other staff
Works closely with congregation to foster engagement in Music Ministry.
Occasional outside contact with Damascus community, Baltimore-Washington Conference, members of the performing arts community.
BA/BS in Music (or equivalent)
Significant mobility demands, lifting 10 lbs. maximum. Walking or standing is required frequently. Must be able to move music equipment and set up performance equipment.
Work environment usually hectic with periods of high stress. Will need a positive attitude to meet daily challenges.
Salary is established by qualifications and experience.
K/SPRC/JOB DESCRIPTIONS/DIR OF MUSIC/2DAMASCUS UMC DIR OF MUSIC 2019-11-06 FINAL2